The wait was long, but the Fairview baseball team finally got to enjoy the confines of Progressive Field on April 16. Under clear skies on a chilly Cleveland afternoon, the Warriors faced Chardon in the 2021 Hardball Classic, presented by Cleveland Indians Charities. The teams played in the third game of a four-game afternoon at the home of the Tribe, with the Hilltoppers (8-6) beating the Warriors, 8-1, on the strength of a big five-run fourth inning. Josh Hill and Enrique Lopez each had two hits for the Warriors (3-6), with Lopez driving in the team’s lone run in the top of the fourth. For Fairview, the third time was a charm when playing downtown. Scheduled for the Hardball Classic in 2018, the Warriors were rained out. The 2020 season was canceled entirely by the COVID-19 pandemic. In the game prior, Avon Lake lost 5-4 to Kenston. After the Warriors and Hilltoppers played their game, Bay beat Benedictine 5-0, then St. Edward and Chagrin Falls battled to a 1-1 tie.
- Pandemic past time opens new doors for local artist
- Future of city road projects depends on costs
- City Senior Center may reopen in phases
- Assistant superintendent officially named Laub’s successor
- Trees honor former Councilman Izo and tree commissionioner Beck
- Mayor to seek re-election
- Recent tree grants make for Arbor Day highlights