By Jeff Gallatin


A Westlake man who authorities said phoned in bomb threats to the Marc’s store in North Olmsted twice, Westlake City Hall and the Giant Eagle in Rocky River was sentenced to 36 months of court-supervised counseling and treatment.

Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge John D. Sutula sentenced Peter D’Amico Sept. 24 after he pleaded guilty to multiple counts of inducing panic and making false alarms. The charges had stemmed from multiple incidents earlier this year in the three Westshore cities.

Both D’Amico’s attorney Jason Haller and law enforcement officials said they were satisfied with the sentences.

Haller said the sentence should assist D’Amico.

“It was a very fair ruling by the judge,” Haller said. “Given his history, his getting treatment for mental issues is an appropriate means of dealing with this.”

Westlake Police Captain Guy Turner said his department has had prior encounters with D’Amico.

“As long as he remains under court supervision and continues to get the appropriate treatment, this sentence should be satisfactory to all the parties involved,” Turner said.

North Olmsted police Detective Mike Gasdick and Rocky River Detective Garth Selong, the two primary investigators in the incidents, both said their departments were satisfied.

“There was a lot of work involved in this one,” Gasdick said. “We really started to put most of it together after Detective Selong contacted us after seeing our incidents in North Olmsted and looking at them in possible connection with the Rocky River incident.”

Law enforcement officials said D’Amico had phoned in the threats to Westlake City Hall and the two to the North Olmsted Marc’s in the winter and early spring this year prior to calling the Rocky River Giant Eagle. In addition, Gasdick said D’Amico had made two phone calls to North Olmsted safety forces threatening bodily harm to himself.

Gasdick said his department felt the two calls to the North Olmsted business were related and was investigating them as such when he heard from Selong.

“He (D’Amico) had prior issues with each of these places, which apparently led to him making the threats,” Selong said.

Investigation showed the phone calls during which the threats were made came from the Cleveland Clinic, where D’Amico has received health care treatment. Selong said Gasdick and Cleveland Clinic police began looking into the incidents after tracking the threats and phone calls and finding they appeared to be related.

“These were public places, and you can’t make threats against those type of places and having people feel that they aren’t safe in that type of place,” Selong said.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.